Time management is one of those tricky things. After working two jobs while going to school full time I may have mastered time management.
Here are my tips and tricks to time management success:
- Use a planner wisely. Make sure that you have what you have to do written down. Then you can make a to-do list with things you would like to do and things you should do. Do your “must dos” first. For instance, for me I would go to work and my classes and then do my homework. Cleaning was normally next on the list and rarely got done because it was a “should do” while homework was a “must do”.
- Say no. Don’t over commit yourself. While I was working two jobs and going to school full time, I hardly ever hung out with friends or did things “for fun” or “just because”. Now that I have “free time”, I decided I would join the Junior League because now I have time for those commitments that I did not have before. Another useful time: if you don’t like something: quit. If you don’t like it, you’re wasting your time.
- Plan outfits the night before. You think I’m joking, but this is such a time management skill. It is one less thing you’ll have to do in the morning and you’ll be able to sleep in a few extra minutes (no joke I save 15 minutes in the morning by laying out an outfit the night before).
- Pick up for 5 minutes (or so) a day. Set a timer for a desired time (most people pick between 5 and 10 minutes). Start cleaning. When the timer rings, stop. This helps keep you focused and pushes you to get something done.
- Keep a daily schedule. Since I’m still working two jobs, my schedule tends to change daily on when I’m working or where I’m working. However, I always wake up at the same time and go to bed at the same time. This way, my body has a routine and I know how much time in a day I have to work with.
What are your time management tips?