I’ve been a little overwhelmed lately, hence the lack of posts. However, I’m on day 2 of snow days, and feel like I’m in a good spot right now. Even though I’m recovering from some sort of virus/cold thing, I still feel like I’m on top of things.
I think one thing I’ve been having trouble with lately is balance. Which is odd because I’m normally so good at this one thing.
Here are my top 5 tips for balancing priorities:
1. Write down everything you have to get done. After you’ve written everything down, re-write it in order that it is due/must be done. For instance, my school assignments have due dates, so I make sure they’re written down in order they are due. Then, I write down things like laundry-things that need to be done, but do not necessary have a due date.
2. Check things off as you do them. This way, you’re not confused about what is complete and what isn’t.
3. Keep a planner, or two. This way, you can’t forget anything (unless you don’t write it down). I actually keep two-one on Google Calendar for teaching related meetings and a spiral bound one for everything (including teaching related meetings). This way, I know what overlaps, where I need to be when, and I don’t have to rely on having internet.
4. Keep it organized. Everything I write down is color coded in my planner, same with Google Calendar. This way, I know what it has to do with and also the importance of the event.
5. Only do things you want to do in your free time. Obviously, you are going to have some commitments. Not everything you have to do is enjoyable. However, in your free time, make sure you’re doing things you want to do. This way, you are spending some time enjoying yourself and you’re doing things you want to do! This makes the things you don’t want to do far more bearable as well.
What do you do when you need to balance out your priorities?